Wednesday, February 5, 2014

You Melt My Heart

In anticipation of a very possible Valentine's soiree I bought the most fabulous silicone heart molds. Valentine's heart shaped jello shots anyone? Yes, please. I found them at Walmart in the Valentine's section for around $4 each so I went ahead and bought two. I knew from the get go that these little beauties could do much more. Pinterest had overwhelmed me with ideas and one that I knew that we'd certainly have to try would be the melted heart crayons. Yes, you've seen them. No, this isn't anything new, but it was a super fun way to incorporate a little arts and crafts into my day with the kids.


First, we gathered our materials.
  • Crayons
  • Silicone Heart Mold
  • Meat Tenderizer or Rubber Mallet
  • Plastic Bag
  • Bowl for Crayons
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Baking Tray
We went for the overflowing box of mismatched, broken and neglected off-brand crayons. We also grabbed the trash can, our silicone heart mold, and a bowl for placing our crayons. Next, I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees while we began our dirty work.

 

The Bird was in charge of breaking the crayons in small pieces while I unraveled the paper. The Boo was our unofficial official supervisor.

 

We continued adding more and more crayons to our bowl. Then, just when I felt like we had a system, The Bird decided breaking was too hard and he was to be the self-appointed paper tearer-upper.

 

After our bowl appeared to be pretty full we began filling the molds. We didn't worry about coordinating colors or measuring the perfect amount we just made sure that the crayons fit inside each heart.

 

After we had placed the larger pieces of crayon into each mold we came up with a master plan to squeeze the smaller pieces into the mold.

 

Insert meat tenderizer crayon bustin' mallet. Unfortunately, we busted a hole in the bag, but we pushed on and sprinkled our little crayon pieces into the heart molds. After we had strategically placed ever bit of crayon into the hearts I placed the silicon mold onto an aluminum covered cookie sheet and into the oven for about 20 minutes. 


After about 20 minutes in the oven, these little beauties cooled for about 30 minutes and easily fell out of their molds to reveal pure crayon awesomeness. 


 

The Bird's 'Action Shot.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS